Friday, July 31, 2009

turning point











Today my heart grew closer to the kids. I woke up and did devotions with the girls. God lead me to speak about love. The Holy Spirit revealed that all the children really needed was love and hugs. I couldn't think of anything else but the Kim Walker YouTube video "How He Loves." It's an amazing song declaring God's love for us. Eric and Scott started to feel sick to their stomaches that morning. Eric started first with vomiting and went to the school feeling extremely weak. Scott started vomiting at school and looked like death. They concluded that it was food poisoning from some hamburger the night before. They both recovered within about 16 hours but it was nasty while they had it.

Charity is a Taiwanese woman that interprets and helps out with most everything that is needed while we are out here. During our devotional she explained that in the chinese culture little kids stop receiving outward affection after about the age of 3. They are rarely told "I love you." It became our mission that day to let these kids know that we loved them and God loves them. At school that day I couldn't help but hug everyone. Most of them remained limp for the first couple of times I hugged them. It seemed so unfamiliar to not have a kid reciprocate the affection given. After a while you could see the smiles when they figured it out and you felt that little squeeze from them around your waist. It was our second to last day with them and I was just getting to know them. My heart was swelling.

When we got home for the afternoon we had some quiet time and played some scrabble. Scott and Eric slept off their sickness. It was pretty low key until we got ready for the night market. I was bummed that Scott couldn't go because he still was recovering from the food poisoning. Wendy and I took her scooter and not too far into the trip she asked if I wanted to drive. Of course I did! I jumped on and took over the road. It was rocky at times when I had to stop and go but overall, not a bad trip. The night market was packed with people. We seperated into groups of 3 or 4 and did some exploring. There was plenty to see, almost too much for the time that we had. I picked up a couple of things but nothing exciting. I probably enjoyed driving the scooter home the most.

Wednesday, I reflected on the time that had already gone by so fast. I thought about going back home and I have some reservations about it. How do I go back to going and going and do do do? I am going to be open to how God wants me to be change there. It seems that I can not be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment