Friday, December 9, 2011

Brownie Points for Scott

I know I should be blogging about my beautiful baby and believe me, I will but I first have to brag about my Scott.  Scott has a the gift of giving.  He has picked wonderful gifts for me in the past.  He has been thoughtful and elaborate with his gifts for me.  Honestly, though, it's grown few and far between in the last couple of years. I'm not saying he has turned into a bad husband by any means.  He makes me dinner, drives me around in the winter, and will make a Ben & Jerry's run without hesitation.  These are all things that I ask for though.  I am a selfish lady and I want him to go beyond.  I know, I know, it sounds ludicrous.  I have never claimed to be a sane person :)

I have a friend that gets a love letter from her husband every year.  She asked for it a few years back and that's what she gets every Christmas.  I think it's beautiful.  It's easy to forget to tell each other what we love  about one another with kids, work, bills, and busy schedules getting in the way.  Who cares if she asked for it, that's what she wants and needs.  Imagine the moment he hands her the love letter...She eagerly, yet carefully opens it, knowing the contents are filled with sweet affirming words of his undying love for her.  Her heart skips a beat and rekindles a new flame in their relationship that lasts until the next letter.  It may not be what every woman needs but it speaks directly to her from him and that's what matters. 


Scott thinks extravagantly when it comes to gift giving.  Last year for my birthday he bought me a brand new snowboard.  It made me grin from ear to ear but then I got pregnant and couldn't use it.  So, over the year, especially after I BIRTHED A HUMAN, I kept saying I wanted him to think of me and do something special for me.  I know, ME, ME, ME. :)  I tell him all the time, "you know me, I don't need extravagant, I don't like jewelry or flowers."  He kept trying say he wanted to get me something big but I said no, I just want you to think of ME.  ME!  Who am I?  What do I like?  Come on Scott, I know you know this.  Hint: I'm frugal.

Finally, tonight, he was getting ready to go get us a movie and he says "oh yeah, I got this for you."  He pulled a little square paper out of his pocket that was from HyVee.  It had a QR code on it.  For those of you without smart phones, it's a bar code that takes you directly to the company's website when scanned by your camera phone.  It took me to a phone app where I could make grocery lists and keep up on weekly coupons and deals.  Coupons! Deals!  A man after my own heart.  He could have thrown that away so easily but he thought, "Krista would love this.  She loves making grocery lists and finding deals."  He thought of meee!  That's all it took.  You know when you are first dating someone and you can't help but see things and think of your boyfriend/girlfriend? Then, you get married and you just assume that because you said "I do" that it's a give-in that you love them.  NEWS FLASH!  It's never a give-in.  Women always need to know you think of us when you are out and about, even when grocery shopping.  As far as I'm concerned, Scott won some major points with that gesture.  He's still pursuing my heart, with coupons, no less.

This year, guys, remember who your wife is.  We may come off as complicated creatures most days but if you take out all the distractions of life, we are just women wanting to be wooed by our lovers from time to time.  

Examples of ways to speak to a woman's heart:
  • My dad picks flowers up for my mom while he's on a run.  
  • Scott's dad buys his wife sweet cards.  
  • My friend's husband takes her on a date once a week, no exceptions
  • My friend's husband buys her clothes, just because
The Five Love Languages is great book that every human, married or not, should read.   



2 comments:

  1. Love and Respect is another awesome book! It going alittle deeper then 5 love languages. Alot of churches do it for pre marriage prep, its awesome after u are married too! We did the dvd series before and after marriage. It strengthens it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christina, definitely! That's a great one as well.

    ReplyDelete